Castaic Lake State Recreation Area offers self-contained overnight camping on its Lower Lake/Lagoon. The campgrounds are located off of Lake Hughes Road on the east side and will accommodate travel trailers, campers and RV’s. Tent camping is also available on a limited basis. Designated areas for boating, swimming (seasonal), and fishing are easily accessible from the campgrounds. Hiking, biking, and equestrian trails are also just a few minutes drive away. Because of their ideal location, the Castaic Lake Campgrounds make the perfect place to set up your “base camp” for all your recreational activities.
NEW - Online Camping & Picnic Reservations
Reservations may be made in-person at the park office or by calling our reservation line, (661) 257-4050. Requests are taken Monday through Sunday, from 8 AM to 2 hours before close. Please refer to park hours for closing times. Reservations must be made a MINIMUM of 3 days in advance, if using a credit card or paying in-person. If paying by check, reservations must be made AT LEAST 30 days in advance with payment being received no later than 15 days after making the reservation. Reservations can be made a maximum of two months in advance. Weekends require a minimum two-night reservation. All holiday weekends require 3-night reservations where applicable.
Reservations are available on a first come first served basis.
(all camping, except tents)
|DUMP FEE (For non-registered campers)||$5.00/dump|
These fees cover the cost of the Castaic Lake "Campgrounds Only". All additional daily entrance fees for vehicles and boats apply at all other park entrances.
|Since campgrounds are limited to 2 vehicles per site, please plan accordingly. All additional vehicles will be subject to daily entrance fees.|
Approximately sixty campsites are available at the campgrounds. These sites are designed for self-contained camping and have NO hook-ups of any kind. Each campsite has a BBQ, picnic table, and fire ring. Some sites are located on grassy areas, while others are bare ground. Tree coverage provides a certain amount of shade, but IS NOT GUARANTEED ON ANY SPECIFIC SITE.
- All sites will accommodate campers, trailers and RV’s. Size limits vary according to site. Maximum length is 35 feet. (Sites A1 – 16, B17 – 35, C3 – 24)
- Sites for tent camping are available on a limited basis. Maximum of 2 tents per site. (Sites A1 - 6, B30 - 35, C3 – 24)
- Only one camping party per site. Maximum of two vehicles and/or 8 people.
- A camping receipt must be displayed at all times in your campsite.
- Boat trailers are allowed in a campsite, but are considered part of the two vehicle maximum.
- Check in time is 2:00 PM. Please stop at the cashier booth to receive/pick up campground permit.
- Check out time is 10:00 AM. All campers must stop at booth to check out.
- Campground entry gate will close at 10:00 PM daily. Re-opens at sunrise.
- Maximum length of stay is 14 days. Off-season (Oct. 01- Mar. 31) - after 14 continuous days, NO return for 14 days. Peak season (Apr. 01 - Sept. 30) - after 14 continuous days, NO return for 30 days.
- Only registered campers are allowed in the campground area.
- The "Rules and Regulations" set forth by Los Angeles County Park Code Number 17.04, must he adhered to.
Sites C-1 and C-2 are specifically designated for disabled patrons ONLY. A DMV issued placard must be displayed at all times in ALL VEHICLES.
- Approximately sixty campsites are available at the campgrounds.
- These sites are designed for self-contained camping and have NO hook-ups of any kind.
- Each campsite has a BBQ, picnic table, and fire ring.
- Some sites are located on grassy areas, while others are bare ground.
- Tree coverage provides a certain amount of shade, but IS NOT GUARANTEED ON ANY SPECIFIC SITE.
- Each parking lot has access to one of three public areas, where more space is available for picnicking and other recreational activities.
- Outdoor sinks, picnic tables with awnings and BBQ’s are all accessible.
- A handicap accessible fishing pier and fish cleaning station are close to parking lot “A”.
- Public rest rooms are available between each lot.
Watercraft may be launched from the Lagoon or Main Reservoir designated areas ONLY! Launching any kind of vessel from the campgrounds is prohibited. Appropriate launch fees apply.
Local Wildlife (Dup - in multiple locations )
Surrounded by the Angeles National Forest, Castaic Lake is home to many different species of wildlife. Many birds including Ducks, Gulls, Herons, Hawks, Falcons, Owls, Swallows and Jays call Castaic Lake Home. On rare occasions, Bald and Golden Eagles can be sighted as well. Other species include Mountain Lions, Bobcats, Lynx, Coyotes, Raccoons, Snakes, Lizards, Turtles and Frogs.
Although wild animals always avoid human interaction, it is best to prevent any contact with them and exercise common sense. Secure all possessions in closed containers and do not leave food and drink unattended. Dispose of all trash in appropriate trash recepticles. Doing so will promote wildlife safety. To report an injured or dangerous animal, please call: L. A. County Animal Control (661) 257-3191
Campfire Safety Rules must be followed. Click Here for more information.
The campground outdoor amphitheater is located before parking lot “B”, and accommodates approximately 60 people. Primarily used for special events, the centralized fire pit offers a traditional camping experience. During the Summer season, “Summer Campfire Talks” are held during the evening, in which public speakers present park-oriented topics.