For leading film industry professionals, Castaic Lake continues to be a lucrative and expansive resource for diverse production necessities. Whether your production is large or small, the lake provides a unique environment for finding the terrain, setting and space needed to get that perfect shot. Many popular television shows such as "C.S.I." and "Fear Factor" have used Castaic Lake to facilitate their production goals.
How to Apply for Filming:
Feel free to scout the area to see if the lake is right for you (all entry fees will apply). Photos and directions to the park are available online for scouts. Email park superintendent Eric Reifman for additional information and potential special circumstances or requirements.
MUST follow the Requirements and Rules for Filming at Castaic Lake.
- Obtain a $2 million General Aggregate / $1 million Per Occurrence General Liability Insurance including Workman's Compensation, naming Los Angeles County and the State of California as "Additional Insured." Please include the endorsement page of the policy.
- Contact the FILM LA Permit Office (213) 977-8600. The California Film District Permit Office (800) 858-4749 ext 107, when the Upper Lake is going to be used. Click here to be directed to the L.A. County film & still photography permit site.
- Facility use fees will be due upon arrival. Please make payable to: County of Los Angeles Dept. of Parks & Recreation. Fees may include a rental fee, vehicle and or boat launch fees, and staff/monitor fees.
- Any equipment left overnight must have security. Unauthorized vehicles left after closing may be towed at owner's expense.
- Normal Filming Hours: Monday - Friday, open to close. These hours will vary throughout the year. (Weekends and holidays NOT permitted.) See Park Hours.
- NO filming on or of Dam structures (including spillway and the intake tower).
Castaic Lake Property Terms and Conditions of Use
Certain areas of the facility are high use areas or public access areas. These will not be available for photographic use unless it can be assured such use will NOT interfere with normal public access. Exclusive use is generally allowed, but will require use of County Police Officers or County Lifeguards.
Castaic Lake staff with the Department of Parks & Recreation will NOT accept deliveries or be responsible for any property or party belonging to the location or his/her clients.
At its sole discretion, the Superintendent of Castaic Lake reserves the right to cancel any reservation in case of an emergency. In such cases, all fees for the cancelled day will be fully refunded.
Alcoholic beverages are not allowed on the grounds during filming activities, and observation of the prescence of such by permittee's cast or crew will result in cancellation of the shoot without any refund of fees.
Under no circumstances will nudity be permitted during a shoot on the grounds of Castaic Lake.
Permits are required from FILM LA and from the CALIFORNIA FILM DISTRICT.