Rules and Regulations
On this page you will find Rules and Regulations design to help you have a safe and wonderful visit to our park. Use the links below to go direct to the topic of interest.
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Swimming - except at designated swim beaches during posted hours
- Gathering of Firewood
- Fireworks or Explosives
- Fires-except in designated areas
- Damage to Plants or Property
- Loud Music/Noise
- Parking in Unauthorized Areas
- Unauthorized Vessel Launching
- Unleashed Animals
- Feeding of Wild Animals
- California Boating Laws, as well as Los Angeles County Ordinances covering boating apply and are enforced.
- All applicable Fish and Game regulations apply and are enforced.
- Appropriate launch permit fees apply.
- Possession of a valid launch permits is required for all boats.
- Watercraft may be launched from the Lagoon or Main Reservoir designated areas ONLY! Launching any kind of vessel from the campgrounds is prohibited.
- All boats must have "CF" numbers on the front bow, valid registration and all safety equipment in order to launch.
- All boats are subject to inspection for safety equipment.
- All boats are required by law to contain one Coast Guard approved wearable life vest per person PLUS one throwable cushion for boats 16' or over.
- All fuel-powered vessels must have a fire extinguisher, including personal watercrafts.
- Children 12 years of age and younger must wear a Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (PFD).
- Vessel operators must be at least 16 years of age.
- Lake speed limits: Maximum speed limit is 35 MPH. Coves and launch ramp areas are 5 MPH. Refer to map.
- Bow riding is prohibited.
- CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IS PROHIBITED. L.A. Co. Ord. 17.04.440
- Possession of any type of firearm is prohibited.
- Please prepare vessel in the upper parking lot. Park in designated boat/trailer areas ONLY.
- Launch and retrieve vessels from designated areas.
- All vessels, other than Personal Watercraft (PWC) are to stay out of special use areas.
- Tying to a buoy from a boat is prohibited.
- Castaic Lake is a drinking water reservoir. FUELING OF ANY VESSEL ON THE WATER IS PROHIBITED.
- All boats must travel in a COUNTER CLOCKWISE direction.
- Water Skiing and Wakeboarding are restricted to designated areas. (See map)
- Ski boats must travel in a COUNTER CLOCKWISE direction.
- Maximum of two persons at a time may be towed behind vessel (if tube is designed for 2 people). Only one tow line and one tow device per vessel.
- All boats towing a skier shall have an OBSERVER not less than 12 years of age.
- Red ski flags must be used to indicate a skier, rope,or ski gear is in the water (according to the "ABC's" of CA Boating law).
- Personal Watercraft may only carry the number of passengers for which it is manufactured.
- Personal Watercraft may not tow anything, including a skier, inner tube, etc.
- Personal Watercraft are restricted to the special PWC area of the lake and must travel in a COUNTER CLOCKWISE ROTATION.
- Passing too close to other vessels can be dangerous at any speed. PWC operators must keep a distance of 25 feet from any other vessel while underway.
- The owner of any Personal Watercraft is responsible for the actions of anyone who uses his vessel.
- Castaic Lake is a drinking water reservoir. FUELING OF ANY VESSEL ON THE WATER IS PROHIBITED. FUELING OF PERSONAL WATERCRAFT IS TO TAKE PLACE OUT OF THE WATER.
- Immediately upon launching, all PWCs must proceed directly to the special use area at a speed of 5 MPH.
- Fuel must be stored in the designated fuel area only.
- VESSEL OPERATORS MUST BE AT LEAST 16 YEARS OF AGE.
- Any vessel launching on Lagoon waters, must be powered by hand, sail, or electric trolling motors.
- Gasoline powered engines are not to be used on Lagoon waters. Engine must be tilted up when the vessel is on Lagoon waters.
- Wind surfers may carry no more than one person.
- All float tubes require launch permits, which should be displayed in a manner similar to fishing licenses.
- All persons in float tubes must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved Personal Floatation Devices (PFD’s) at all times.
- Use of float tubes is restricted to the Castaic Lake Lagoon.
- Whistles or other sound signaling devices, while not required, ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.
- A 12” x 12” orange square is required on the back of the float tube.
Swim Beaches will open in 2015.
- SWIMMING IS PROHIBITED, EXCEPT IN DESIGNATED AREAS, ONLY WHEN A LIFEGUARD IS ON DUTY. Beaches are open FOR SWIMMING on a seasonal basis only.
- Always watch your children when they are in or near the water.
- Report a lost child immediately to the lifeguard on duty.
- Animals must be on leashes. No animals are allowed in the water or on the beach.
- ONLY RIDE ON OPEN TRAILS.
- Remove all trash and protect natural areas.
- Maintain control of your pet animals and/or bicycles at all times.
- Always yield the trail where appropriate.
- Never scare or harass animals.
- Use of off-road vehicles (ATV's, Motocross bikes or go-carts) on the trails is PROHIBITED.
- All safety equipment recommended for the sport must be worn at all times. This includes wearing a protective helmet.
- USE OF COUNTY MAINTAINED TRAILS IS AT THE RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY OF THE INDIVIDUAL.
- All California Fish and Game regulations are strictly enforced.
- All fishermen MUST have a valid fishing license if 16 years or older (additional rods require stamps).
- Fishing from docks, launch ramps is NOT allowed.
- Fishing from the dam is permitted, within the designated areas.
- Fishing in coves "Closed for spawning" is prohibited.
- Cleaning of fish on the water or shoreline is strictly prohibited.
- Live bait can only be used if caught in the same day and location.
- Trolling in the Main Reservoir ski area is NOT permitted.
|Bass (Largemouth)||5||15 inch+|
|Sunfish and Crappie||25||None|
In addition to "Special Event Guidelines" and "Group Camping Guidelines", the following rules must be followed:
- A California department of Fish and Game permit covering the date of the tournament must be forwarded to the Administration office for our files.
- Only organized fishing clubs are allowed overnight (no family or commercial use).
- Groups must provide a written accounting of each day's participants, list of boat CF#'s and annual permits with name & permit number. A special event boat log will be provided for the event. The log must be completed daily and returned to the office along with any uncollected fees, by 3:00 p.m. on the last day.
- Fishing Tournaments are held at the West Launch Ramp, and the participants may camp at the group camp location assigned to fishing organization by the park Administration.
- Within the bounds of Castaic Lake Park, County and State rules and regulations, tournament regulations apply as well.
- All sites will accommodate campers, trailers and RV’s. Size limits vary according to site. Maximum length is 35 feet. (Sites A1 – 16, B17 – 35, C3 – 24)
- Sites for tent camping are available on a limited basis. Maximum of 2 tents per site. (Sites A1 - 6, B30 - 36, C1 – 29)
- Only one camping party per site. Maximum of two vehicles and/or 8 people.
- A camping receipt must be displayed at all times in your campsite.
- Boat trailers are allowed in a campsite, but are considered part of the two vehicle maximum.
- Check in time is 1:00 PM. Please stop at the cashier booth to receive/pick up campground permit.
- Check out time is 10:00 AM. All campers must stop at booth to check out.
- Campground entry gate will close at 10:00 PM daily. Re-opens at sunrise.
- Maximum length of stay is 14 days, in a 30 day period. NO return for 30 days.
- Only registered campers are allowed in the campground area.
- Sites C-4 and C-5 are specifically designated for disabled patrons ONLY. A DMV issued placard must be displayed at all times in a vehicle.
- Watercraft may be launched from the Lagoon or Main Reservoir designated areas ONLY! Launching any kind of vessel from the campgrounds is prohibited. Appropriate launch fees apply.
- Swimming along the campground shoreline is NOT allowed.
- Check DAILY with staff at the cashier kiosk if campfires are allowed due to Fire Dept Regulations.
- Gathering of plants including tree limbs, shrubs or twigs, dead or alive, from within the park for the purpose of making a campfire is PROHIBITED.
- Never leave your campfire unattended. Before leaving the area or going to sleep, make sure all coals are extinguished.
- Have a bucket of water or fire extinguisher ready and close to your campfire at all times
- Use pieces of wood that are 18 inches or smaller to fit completely within the fire ring.
- The County of Los Angeles (Ord. 10, 309, Sec. 35) prohibits the possession and discharge of any fireworks within the facility.
- Fire permits are required for all open fires, including BBQ and campfires and must be obtained prior to camping. Fires are permitted in designated areas only, including contained BBQ braziers. No ground fires.
- Use is limited to assigned areas only. Permission for use is subject to cancellation.
- No barbeques or other cooking utensils may be placed in such a manner that may harm existing turf or other plant life.
- Fires are to be extinguished by methods found in Boy Scout and Girl Scout Manuals. Coals and ashes are to be left in barbeque and properly extinguished.
- An adult MUST be present at each fire site when it is in use.
- In high wind areas, open fires (wood or barbeque) may be forbidden or limited in use.
- FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY FIRE REGULATIONS ON THE PART OF ANY CAMPER OR MEMBER OF THE CAMP PARTY MAY RESULT IN THE IMMEDIATE EXPULSION FROM THE PARK OF THE ENTIRE CAMP GROUP. (L.A. County Code 17.04.590)
- NOTE: YOUR GROUP MUST ARRIVE BEFORE 5:00 P.M. ON THE FIRST CAMPING DATE. PLEASE REPORT TO THE PARK RANGER OR ADMINISTRATOR ON DUTY BEFORE GOING TO THE CAMPSITE. THE RANGER/ADMINISTRATOR WILL ASSIGN CAMPSITES.
Reservations may be made at the park office or by calling (661) 257-4050. Requests are taken Monday through Friday , from 8am to 5pm. You may also make reservations online.
Online Camping & Picnic Reservations
Reservations must be made a MINIMUM of 3 days in advance, if using a credit card or paying in-person. If paying by check, reservations must be made AT LEAST 30 days in advance with payment being received no later than 15 days after making the reservation. Reservations can be made a maximum of two months in advance. All weekends require a minimum two-night reservation. All holiday weekends require 3-night reservations where applicable.
Reservations can be made up to six months in advance, but must be made at least 30 days prior to the event. A non refundable $50.00 reservation fee and the completed application must be received, at the Park Office 30 days before the event. Insurance certificate, Fish & Game letter/permit and any remaining fees must be received no later than 15 days prior to the event, for approval.
- Written notice of a reservation cancellation is required.
- Cancellation 16+ days prior to event - all remitted fees may be refunded**
- Cancellation 3 - 15 days prior to event - 50% of all remitted fees may be refunded**
- Cancellation less than 3 days prior to event - no remitted fees refunded.**
- **The $50.00 reservation fee is non-refundable.
- You MUST make a reservation in advance.
- Groups must provide insurance.
- The group shall camp only in the assigned area by the park ranger or administrator on duty at the park.
- All area rules and regulations shall be observed.
- This event will be free and no attempt will be made to raise funds. Also, no admission fees to the event will be charged, unless stated in the permit.
- This permit may be cancelled if the Department finds this facility must be used for County purposes.
- No one can store any material in the park or in any of its buildings.
- The Department will not supply fuel. The group must supply its own.
- You will notify your group that it is illegal to cut, mutilate, or destroy any tree, shrub or plant growing in the park for any reason.
- The sponsored group must provide sufficient adult supervision.
- The group must supply its own snakebite kits.
- This permit applies only to the camping activities listed on the permit. Permission for any other event must be requested in writing from the Director of Parks and Recreation at the park address. The request should be made well in advance.
- The permittee agrees that during the use of the park or recreation facilities, the named group will not exclude anyone from participating in or deny anyone the benefits of the activity or otherwise subject anyone to discrimination because of a person's race, color, national origin, age or handicap.
- Overnight use of the West Ramp parking lot is for RV/Campers ONLY. Tent camping is allowed only in 3 & 7 acres group campgrounds. All vehicles must park in paved lots.
- No electrical hookups allowed - groups must provide own power/generator.
- Park usage is limited to assigned areas only. Permission for use is subject to cancellation.
- Permittee is responsible for conduct of all members. Minors must be supervised at all times.
- All activities must cease by 10 p.m., unless otherwise stated in permit.
- The designated use area must be cleaned up at the end of the event.
- Groups are not permitted to camp for more than 72 consecutive hours, unless specifically permitted by the administration. Upon expiration of the 72-hour limit, all camping activity must cease, camping equipment must be removed, and the area promptly vacated.
- Food preparation shall be the responsibility of the individual camper. Food preparation on a group basis is not permitted.
- All toilets, hand wash facilities, drinking fountains, etc., shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition. Wastewater shall not be deposited on the ground. The facilities, including the grounds must be cleaned daily and all trash and refuse shall be deposited in designated containers.
- The facility shall be cleaned up at the end of this activity.
- NOTE: PARK GATES ARE LOCKED FROM SUNDOWN TO SUNRISE * Permittee will inform all club members that the park gates are locked from sundown to sunrise. If a gate key is issued, permittee is responsible for keeping the park gates locked after park hours, only club members are allowed to enter after closing.
- In order to confirm your reservation, a $50.00 non-refundable deposit must be made. Final payment is due one month prior to the scheduled stay.
- Entry and launch fees are not included.
- Fees are subject to change at any time.
Neither the County of Los Angeles, nor the Department of Parks & Recreation shall be liable or responsible for any accidents or loss of material. Groups must provide insurance. A Certificate of Insurance or Additional Party Endorsement (proof of insurance alone is not sufficient) must name "AS ADDITIONAL INSURED" both:
1. Los Angeles County Dept. of Parks & Recreation - Castaic Lake AND
2. State of California,
for a minimum two million ($2,000,000.00) dollars aggregate general liability coverage. Insurance certificate must include:
1. Name of insured,
2. Type of event (bass tournament),
3. Date and
4. Location of the event.
Clubs may purchase insurance through the County's Special Event Liability Insurance Program. For more information or a quote, please call 1-800-420-0555. Rates will vary according to the number of participants and the types of activities. A copy must be sent to the Administration office for our files.